“How’s it goin’?” …and people will say: “Busy”.
“Hey! We’re all gettin’ together next thursday night, should be fun, wanna join us?” ……and you might hear: “Let me check my Calendar”
It seems like people just cant be happy unless they are “Busy”. Too bad for *them!* Because much, much too often, their busy-ness means they are too busy for FUN. And they miss out. Over-committed. To things they don’t enjoy. Yes, *do* be responsible, but I’ll bet 80% of the things you have written on your calendar, the reminders, are NOT for things that are fun. Or enjoyable. But nonetheless, you volunteered or said you’d do them. So there you are. Booked up. Over-committed and too busy, for EnJOYment. Where’s the JOY?
I suspect alot of them don’t care. Who knows, maybe they are more into “seeming important” by having all these things going on. So maybe their idea of “success” is more important to them than FUN. Or Enjoyment! They will tell themselves they are “being responsibile”. We all should be, but thats the default setting. We want to Elevate above that, and be (dare i say it?) Happy! 🙂
In some cases it may be even worse than that. Maybe they aren’t really busy but lie and say they are. Why would they do that? Perhaps they feel a life that isnt busy is “unproductive” or boring and so they are nearly paranoid about LOOKING like a real go-getter and it sounds more politically correct to be “Busy”. Some people may even think of feeling happy as a “luxury” and resign themselves to drudgery. But thats just trying to paint a politically-correct face, on depression. What makes you SMILE? Come Alive! Gives you Zest and enthusiasm? Good emotions, are good for you! Remember that.
Being “Busy” is a fad. But they can have it. I dont want it. With no regrets whatsoever. I want to live a life, a happy life, without even owning any Day Planner at all. With as *little* crammed onto my Calendar as possible, so that—-I will have MAXIMUM unscheduled-free-time!!– to be AVAILABLE and OPEN to any FUN when it comes along. To bad for the rest of you “Busy” suckers.
“How’s it goin’, Owl?”
Me: “FANTASTIC! I have the JOY of FREE time to do whatever I want at a moments notice, or not, however I choose. I am NOT “in a hurry” and NOT having any ulcers worrying about all these places i hafta be because I’m scheduled so “tight”, like so many other poor suckers. And I don’t have to worry about meetings or traffic or being late. How YOU doin’?” haha
Them: well, busy.
Me: Maybe you just suck at Time Management.
Let that sink in. And then sink in some more. And then ask yourself:
- When was the last time I drove to the Beach, sat on a driftwood log eating a sandwich and listening to the powerful ocean waves and the seagulls and feeling the misty air?
2. When was the last time I “cleared my schedule” and spent from 10am til 10pm with my sweetie?
3. When was the last time I had the house to myself, NO CALLS, and sat in my favorite recliner with some soft background music while i spent all day reading a book that I bought?
4. When was the last time i took myself out to lunch, spent all afternoon leisurely walking around the Mall, then having another bite to eat for dinner and then going to see a movie in a big-screen Theatre?
5. When was the last time I filled up the gas tank in the car and got on the freeway and took a scenic drive, 3 hours one way, just to unwind, get out of town and have a refreshing change of scenery?
Them: welllll, I’d like to but, I’m, um, busy.
Me: That’s right. you are. And who’s fault is that? And you’re so “busy” that you don’t have Time: for FUN, for DATES, for day-trips, for unwinding & quiet time….and Life is passing you by!